We love Maths at Collierley Primary School!
Mathematics is a creative and highly inter-connected discipline that has been developed over centuries, providing the solution to some of history’s most intriguing problems. It is essential to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering, and necessary for financial literacy and most forms of employment. A high-quality mathematics education therefore provides a foundation for understanding the world, the ability to reason mathematically, an appreciation of the beauty and power of mathematics, and a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject. At Collierley Primary School we aim to ensure that children are equipped with the knowledge and growth mindset to solve mathematical problems within practical situations by using a mastery approach to teaching. Maths is celebrated in school each week with a ‘Magical Mathematician’ certificate awarded to a child in each year group during celebration assembly.
Mathematics teaches us how to make sense of the world around us through developing a child’s ability to calculate, to reason and to solve problems. It enables children to understand and appreciate relationships and pattern in both number and space in their everyday lives.
Through our mathematics lessons at Collierley it is our aim to develop:
• Enjoyment and enthusiasm for mathematics and an awareness of the fascination of mathematics.
• Confidence and fluency in mathematical knowledge, concepts and skills.
• An ability to use and apply mathematics across the curriculum and in real life.
• An ability to solve problems, by applying their skills to a variety of routine and non-routine problems.
• To reason, to think logically and to work systematically and accurately.
• An ability to reason mathematically and explain relationships using mathematical language.
• An understanding of mathematics through a process of enquiry and experiment.
• Initiative and an ability to work both independently and in cooperation with others.
Teaching and learning style
We use a variety of teaching and learning styles in mathematics lessons. Our principal aim is to develop children’s knowledge, skills and understanding in mathematics.
We do this through a daily mathematics lesson where children are given opportunities for:
• Practical activities and mathematical games
• Problem solving
• Open and closed tasks
• Individual, group and whole class discussions and activities
• A range of methods of calculating e.g. mental, pencil and paper and using a calculator
• Working with computers as a mathematical tool
• Using a wide range of support resources e.g. number squares, digit cards and number lines
• Using and applying their learning in everyday situations